(Desi: A person of Indian descent who lives abroad)
I’m at home in India right now, but I’m flying back to London tomorrow and so today has been all about buying things and packing them. I’ve realized that there are some standard things that a desi student takes back from home when they’re living abroad. I always come home with an empty suitcase which is filled to the point of bursting on the way back.
Here are a few things I’m carrying back this time, which is very stereotypical of desi students in general. (It’s mostly food.)
1. Indian spices. I love England, but I’m sorry to say that the English have a very boring and bland taste palate. I need me my Indian flavours to survive there!
2. My favourite Indian snacks for those days when I just need some unhealthy comfort food in me.
3. Indian families don’t seem to realize that kitchen necessities are available abroad, and so they buy us the stuff to carry across the ocean.
4. Something home-cooked. In my case, an Indian sweet.
5. Warm clothes – because Indian bodies aren’t equipped to deal with the cold and you can never have too many!
And there you go! That’s basically what’s in my suitcase right now. With some other little decorative items for my room, and a few essentials.
Sigh. I’m done packing. I leave for London early tomorrow morning and reach at night, and my hectic uni schedule starts the day after I land.
That’s all for now, folks!
Hope you’re having a great morning/afternoon/night wherever you are!
Quote of the Day: “There is always a sadness about packing. I guess you wonder if where you’re going is as good as where you’ve been.” – Richard Proenneke